Bicycle Accidents Are No Joke, And Here’s Why
In recent years, we have begun to see more and more cyclists on the roads. Whether people are turning to their bikes as a means to get around for health or financial reasons, convenience, or to be more eco-conscious, the fact remains that bikes are everywhere these days. Unfortunately, cyclists are at every disadvantage in traffic – they are smaller, less protected, and lighter than those traveling in a car. When a bicyclist is involved in an accident with another vehicle, the results are oftentimes catastrophic. However, bike-car accidents are not the only type of crashes that may injure cyclists. Bicyclists can also sustain life-threatening injuries when involved in an accident with another cyclist, pedestrian, or object. This is why it is imperative that proper safety measures are taken, regardless of whether you are riding long distance or just around the corner.
Unfortunately, the most common injuries associated with bike accidents are head injuries. Due to the serious nature of head injuries, many cyclists sustain permanent damage, or worse, after being involved in an accident of some type. If you were injured or lost a loved one in a bike accident, contact an attorney from AMA Law today. Our personal injury lawyers care about you and have the experience necessary to represent you in a court of law.
Common Injuries From Bike Accidents
Even the most careful and defensive cyclist can end up in an accident from time to time. However, there are certain steps that can be taken in order to help you avoid getting into a bike accident, including wearing a helmet, using proper hand signals, being on the lookout for reckless drivers, and utilizing proper reflective gear. That being said, accidents still do happen, oftentimes resulting in serious injuries. Some of the most common types of injuries resulting from a bike accident include the following:
- Head injuries – These types of injuries typically occur because a cyclist is thrown over their handlebars, taking away any control they had over the way in which they land
- Brain injuries – Cyclists have been known to suffer anywhere from a minor brain injury – such as a concussion – to a more traumatic brain injury with devastating results, such as loss of memory, decreased bodily function, and permanent disability
- Spinal cord injuries – Due to the nature of exposure when we ride bikes, spinal cord injuries can result when a bicycle crash victim lands on his or her back, neck, or head with a certain level of force
- Facial injuries – The most common facial injuries resulting from bike accidents include the loss or damage of an eye, broken jaw, broken nose, chipped teeth, and severe scarring
- Broken bones and fractures – When a bike accident occurs, the cyclist can be at risk of breaking or fracturing a leg, arm, shoulder, back, neck, hip, and almost any other bone in the body
- Death – Because there is no barrier or protection between a cyclist and motorist or another object, the chance of suffering fatal injuries is extremely high
It is no secret that bicycle accidents are very serious and often result in life-changing injuries, or death. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bike crash due to the fault of another person, please contact AMA Law today. Our personal injury lawyers are prepared to fight for you and will do everything we can to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries.