Oklahoma Auto Insurance : Uninsured Motorist Coverage

May 23, 2014
by Adler Markoff & Associates

Request A Free Consultation

(405) 607-8757

    Oklahoma Auto Insurance : Uninsured Motorist Coverage

    Getting in a car accident is a traumatic and disturbing time for anyone. Dealing with complex insurance laws and companies can add to the confusion, especially when dealing with someone who does not have insurance. Uninsured motorist laws were created to help ease the minds of drivers and help bear the cost of an accident. Sometimes these sort of compicated insurance issues call for the help of an expereinced auto accident attorney to protect the rights of Oklahoma motorists.


    Uninsured motorist coverage is different from general liability coverage in many ways. One fundamental aspect of the coverage is that liability coverage protects against the consequences of the insured person’s negligence, whereas uninsured motorist coverage protects against the negligence of others. Also, uninsured motorist coverage insures particular person(s), not a specific vehicle. Furthermore, coverage is not dependent on whether a person is being injured by an actual vehicle. Instead it depends on whether another uninsured driver is liable for the damage caused. The goal of this coverage is to provide the same protection to the person injured by an uninsured motorist as if an insured motorist were liable.

    In Oklahoma, an insurance company must offer uninsured motorist coverage. For this coverage to take effect, it is vital that the injury to the insured was caused by the accident of an uninsured motorist. The accident caused may arise out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle. Finally coverage under an uninsured motorist policy must be at least as broad as that in the general liability section of the insured person’s policy. Solely the provisions of the policy dictate this aspect of the coverage.

    Personal injuries are particularly troublesome because of the various classifications of people covered by the policy. For example, a “Class 1” person is usually someone who has a relationship with the insured, such as a spouse or relative in the household of the insured. A “Class 2” person, on the other hand, is those not related to the insured by are occupants of the vehicle at the time of the accident. Even terms such as “person occupying the vehicle” can become complex. For example, if someone is changing a flat tire and is injured by an uninsured driver, the court may classify said person as “occupying the vehicle”.


    If you have been in an accident or know someone who has, contact a lawyer to help guide you through the difficult aspects of insurance policies. Without proper legal aid you may end up paying more than is required and not be reimbursed for payment you deserve. Also, if your insurance company did not offer you uninsured motorist coverage as part of your policy, call an Oklahoma City accident lawyer at AMA Law and make sure your rights are protected.

    Request a free consultation

    (405) 607-8757