Oklahoma Visitation Rights and Child Custody

May 23, 2014
by Adler Markoff & Associates

Request A Free Consultation

(405) 607-8757

    Oklahoma Visitation Rights and Child Custody

    Several questions are raised once a married couple decides to get a divorce. Among these pressing questions can be about custody of a child. Child custody in Oklahoma is discussed in a previous blog. One of the types of custody is sole custody wherein one parent is awarded legal and physical responsibility for the child. When one parent is awarded sole custody, the other (non-custodial) parent can ask for visitation rights to see his child or children. Our child visitation rights attorneys in Oklahoma City have helped parents all over the state gain visitation rights to ensure quality time is spent with the ones we love.

    Visitation Rights and Child Custody Attorneys in Oklahoma

    Courts try to “ensure frequent and continuing contact” with both parents when it is in the best interests of the child. For this reason, courts will often award visitation rights to the non-custodial parent so that the children will have this contact with both parents. The Court can impose a specified minimum amount of visitation between the non-custodial parent and the children if an agreement on time cannot be reached between the parents on their own.

    In 2005, the Administrative Director of the Courts in Oklahoma put forth advisory guidelines for standard visitation rights for children over five years old. These guidelines focus on weekend time, mid-week time sharing, how to alternate holidays, summer vacation, mechanics of time-sharing, and other specific instances.

    One of the most controversial issues regarding visitation rights is when the custodial parent refuses access to the child for the non-custodial parent. If this happens, several remedies can be enforced. A contempt of court action will be filed and the non-custodial parent may also file a motion for enforcement of visitation rights. If the court finds that the non-custodial parent’s visitation rights have been infringed upon, the court can order make-up visits, the posting of a bond, attorney’s fees and costs, or other remedies.

    Once visitation rights are decided, that does not mean they cannot be altered. If you don’t feel the agreement reached best suits your child’s needs, visitation rights can be changed. They can also be changed due to the relocation of the custodial parent, violation of a court order, job change for one of the parents, or if the child is in danger from either of the parents. The parent wishing to change the visitation rights must petition the court for approval.


    Do you have questions regarding the visitation rights for your children? Whether you are the custodial or non-custodial parent, you need experienced family law lawyers to help answer any questions or concerns you might have. The well-being of a child is the most important part of being a parent. Ensuring that your child is taken care of and that you can see him or her as often as possible is understandably your biggest concern as well. You are not alone in figuring these questions out. Call AMA Law today to speak with our visitation rights lawyers and get everything situated for you and your children.

    Request a free consultation

    (405) 607-8757