Steps to Take After a Trucking Accident
Trucking accidents are extremely serious and often result in life-threatening injuries or fatalities. This is often the case due in large part to the sheer weight and size of commercial trucks. Large trucks are notorious for causing catastrophic damages in auto accidents, whether due to the sometimes-dangerous conditions under which they operate, driver fatigue, distraction, or some other element. While no one expects that they will be the victim of an Oklahoma trucking accident, it is important that you understand what steps should be taken immediately following the collision, just in case. Being involved in a trucking accident can be quite rattling and disarming, especially if injuries or fatalities occurred. One of the most heart-wrenching experiences in life is learning that you have lost a loved one in a trucking accident.
Knowing what to do right after a trucking accident is quite difficult, which is why we thought it would be helpful to go over some of the most important steps to take in these types of scenarios. In fact, the actions you take following a trucking accident can have a major impact on what legal actions can be taken. Medical bills are one of the top considerations following a collision with a tractor-trailer that resulted in injuries or death. In order to ensure you receive the compensation and support you deserve, please take the following information into consideration.
The steps listed below are designed to guide you and help you better understand your rights and what you should do immediately following an Oklahoma trucking accident:
- Seek Medical Attention – As with any type of accident, it is of the utmost importance that you seek medical attention immediately following a trucking accident. It is extremely common for people to suffer life-threatening, devastating injuries after these types of accidents, which is why it is imperative that you see a doctor. Even if you do not think you have been injured, be sure and have the emergency responders on the scene look you over. You may also want to consult a physician as soon as you can, as they will be able to assess you and determine whether or not you sustained any internal or external injuries
- Call the Police – Both this step and the above mentioned step are important and should be done immediately. Regardless of how serious the accident was it is required by law for you to involve the police. A police report of the accident can also be an important piece of evidence later on, so make sure not to skip this step
- Take Pictures of the Accident Scene – If you are medically able, take pictures of the scene and gather any information from eyewitnesses. Recording details of the other vehicles involved is absolutely imperative, especially if you plan to press charges or the case goes to court
- Obtain Witness Information – Similar to the above point, do your best to gather contact information (name, address, phone number, license plate number, etc.) of anyone who witnessed the accident
- Contact Your Insurance Company – When you are medically able, contact your own insurance company so that they are aware of the accident. You will need to provide them with basic facts, and your police report number may also be beneficial
- Contact A Knowledgeable Trucking Accident Attorney – An Oklahoma trucking accident attorney will be able to provide you with the guidance and support you need following the collision. Your lawyer will be able to gather information and evidence, talk to witnesses, and structure your claim. This is an important step that should not be ignored.
For more information on trucking accidents in Oklahoma and what steps should be taken immediately following, please contact AMA Law today.