The Most Common Types of Sex Crimes
In the state of Oklahoma, a sex crime is defined as any illegal act of sexual nature. One of the most serious crimes out there, there are numerous different acts that fall under this category. Depending on the level of severity and people involved, these charges are either misdemeanors or felonies. However, it should be noted that, due to their nature, the majority of sex crimes in Oklahoma are considered felonies that come with hefty fines and years in a state prison.
Here at AMA Law, our lawyers have handled a wide range of cases that fall under this category. In order to ensure you understand how serious these crimes are, we thought it would be helpful to go over the most common types of sex crimes. If you have been accused of a sex crime and require representation, please contact our Oklahoma law firm today.
Here is a look at the most common types of sex crimes:
- Statutory Rape. This crime is defined as sexual intercourse by a person older than 18 with a female or male who is below the legal age of 18, but older than 14 years old. Even if both parties gave full consent and engaged in the act voluntarily, a crime has still occurred. In these cases, the prosecution can charge a person with this crime, regardless of whether or not the underage person is cooperating or not.
- Prostitution. Along with pandering, pimping, and solicitation, prostitution is considered a sex crime that can be filed as either a felony or misdemeanor, depending on the level of seriousness of the act. Just to be clear, pimping is defined as any person who solicits acts of prostitution or pandering on behalf of another person or persons.
- Lewd Conduct. This is a broad category that covers numerous offenses, most of which concern sexual activity in a public place. These acts may include receiving or giving oral sex in a public setting, exposure of genitals in public, and public masturbation. In most cases, police look at public restrooms and beaches to catch these types of offenders.
- Sexual Battery. This is a type of offense that refers to sex crimes that are not covered by rape statutes, such as sexual abuse or sexual misconduct. In many cases, sexual battery is often characterized as sexual touching or penetration without the consent of the other party. These acts are usually forced or achieved by threat.
- Child Enticement and Endangerment. These crimes are those that involve an adult persuading, or attempting to persuade, a minor to accompany him or her for the purpose of sexual activity. While these types of charges differ from state to state, they are taken very seriously and prosecuted accordingly.
Sex crimes are very serious offenses that can result in years of prison time and huge fines. As experienced sex crime lawyers, AMA Law has represented people throughout Oklahoma on these types of cases. Our attorneys are skilled at ensuring no one is falsely accused or charged with a sex crime, and we also represent those who have been the victim of a sex crime. To find out more about our services for those accused of a sexual crime, contact AMA Law today.