Dog bites or attacks can be extremely traumatizing and can lead to very serious injury, or even death in some cases. Unfortunately, these types of cases occur more frequently than you may realize. Whether due to pet owner negligence, an aggressive dog, or another factor, dog bite wounds are a serious matter that should not be taken lightly. In fact, nearly 5 million people are bitten by a dog each year. While the large majority only result in minor injury, over 350,000 people in the United States are admitted to the hospital yearly due to injuries sustained from dog bites.
Below you will find information on the most common types of dog bite injuries. If you have any questions about these types of cases or would like to set up a consultation with one of our Oklahoma personal injury lawyers, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
Understanding Dog Bite Injuries
The most common dog bite injuries are as follows:
- Puncture wounds. In most cases, these types of injuries do not bleed profusely. However, they can be very dangerous and should be treated right away. Puncture wounds can penetrate deep into the skin, making them prone to infection.
- Infection. Both dog bites and scratches involve the animal’s teeth and paws, which leads to a higher chance of infection. If the dog is covered in dirt, bacteria, or other unclean materials, it could transfer into the victim’s wound and cause more serious problem down the road.
- Scarring. While the majority of wounds from dog bites will heal, there is the potential for permanent facial or body scarring. In these instances, the victim of the dog bite injury may require painful and extensive reconstructive surgery.
- Nerve damage. A dog’s jaw is very strong and, if they bite deep and hard enough, may result in nerve damage in an individual;s face, neck, arms, or legs. This nerve damage may in turn lead to mobility issues and chronic pain.
- Emotional damages. Being involved in a dog attack can be a very traumatizing experience, for both children and adults. Children may have nightmares, develop a fear of dogs, or show other serious symptoms of trauma.
At AMA Law, our personal injury lawyers are highly trained to handle these types of cases and will do everything we can to make sure you receive the justice and financial compensation you deserve. We understand how sensitive these cases can be, which is why we have made an effort to provide victims of dog bite injuries throughout Oklahoma with quality, honest representation you can count on. Get in touch with us for a free consultation.