Slip and fall accidents happen every single day, especially during the winter months. These types of accidents do not discriminate and can happen anywhere, to anyone. While we do see an influx of slip and fall accidents during the colder months when the sidewalks, parking lots, and streets are icy, wet, and sometimes snowy, the weather doesn’t always have a hand in these incidents. The fact of the matter is that most people will slip and fall at some point in their lives, no matter how careful they are. Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents can get quite expensive – and complicated. If the reason you slipped and fell was because of negligence on the part of another person or business, you may be able to file a lawsuit in order to recover medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. However, when large corporations are involved, these cases can become tricky, to say the last.
In order to ensure you recover the damages owed to you and are successful with bringing a lawsuit against the negligent property owner, it is imperative you act accordingly in the immediate aftermath of a slip and fall accident. The first steps you take after you have been injured in a slip and fall accident will be critical to building your case against the negligent party. These types of accidents are quite serious and can be thrown off in the blink of an eye. With that in mind, here are a few important steps that should be taken following a slip and fall accident:
- Seek Medical Attention – Before you do anything else, make sure you receive medical help following a slip and fall. This is true even if you do not notice any outward injuries, as some injuries do not show up right away or are internal. Having your injuries and medical state documented will be instrumental in helping your case, should you choose to seek compensation.
- File a Report – After you receive medical attention, the next thing you should do is file a report. This is especially important if you fell in a store, apartment building, mall, parking lot, or anywhere else in public. Make sure you notify the manager, property owner, landlord, or other figure of authority before you leave and have them make a report of the accident. Before you leave, ask for a copy of the report for your records.
- Document the Incident – Take pictures with your smartphone and talk to any witnesses who saw the accident take place. Make sure you capture any dangerous conditions as well as any injuries to your body. The more pictures and evidence of the scene to support your case, the better.
- Talk to Witnesses – As mentioned above, be sure and collect witness info and talk to anyone who saw you slip and fall, or who noticed the hazard that led to your accident. Depending on the case, you may need to ask the witnesses to make a statement that supports your claim later down the line.
- Call an Attorney – Last but certainly not least, it is imperative that you have an experienced personal injury attorney by your side when considering pursuing a slip and fall case. These types of cases are not easy to prove, which is why it will be in your best interest to obtain a lawyer who understands the ins and outs of slip and fall cases.
To discuss your slip and fall case with an attorney from AMA Law, please do not hesitate to contact us today. Our knowledgeable Oklahoma personal injury attorneys are prepared to fight for you and will do everything we can to help you receive the compensation you deserve.