Driving is a vital part of everyone’s lives. After all, it is essential for getting to and from places. It helps you get to work, go to the store, take your kids to school, and so much more. Unfortunately, driving comes with inherent risks. While there are laws in place to protect all drivers on the roads, not everyone follows them. Accidents can and do happen.
Even if you are the safest driver in the world, you cannot control the actions of others. Some drivers are careless and negligent, putting other drivers in harm’s way. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is arguably one of the most dangerous things a person can do.
Driving drunk slows your reaction speed and impairs your judgment, which can lead to drastic consequences on the road. Being involved in a car accident with a drunk driver can be devastating. Often, you never see it coming. However, you can hold the drunk driver responsible for any damages and injuries they may have caused with the help of an Oklahoma drunk driving accident attorney.
At AMA Law, our team of talented and knowledgeable car accident attorneys has years of experience handling Oklahoma drunk driving accidents. We understand how devastating a drunk driving accident can be, which is why we are here to help. If you were the victim of an Oklahoma drunk driving accident, contact AMA Law today.
Drunk Driving Statistics
Unfortunately, drunk driving accidents happen all the time across the country. Far too many drivers get behind the wheel of a car after having too many alcoholic beverages. More often than not, doing so leads to devastating results.
To get a better understanding of drunk driving, here are some essential statistics:
- Over 25% of all traffic-related deaths are the result of drunk driving.
- Every day, 30 people lose their life in an accident with a drunk driver.
- 18.9% of respondents admit to driving while buzzed.
- 10,511 people died in a drunk driving accident in 2018.
- 231 children under the age of 14 died in a drunk driving accident in 2018.
- In 2017, 27% of drunk drivers were between the ages of 21 to 24 years old.
- As of 2019, 20.1% of respondents between the ages of 35 to 44 know someone who died in a drunk driving accident.
- In Oklahoma, there were 3,109 total alcohol-related crashes in 2018.
- In Oklahoma, there were 147 fatal alcohol-related crashes in 2018.
As you can see, drunk driving is an issue that plagues the entire country, not just Oklahoma. If you do plan on drinking, plan to have someone pick you up, take a rideshare service (like Uber and Lyft), or stay the night where you are drinking (if possible).
If you do find yourself in a drunk driving accident, contact an Oklahoma drunk driving attorney at AMA Law and let us fight for you.
What to Do After an Oklahoma Drunk Driving Accident
Car accidents are complicated and stressful on their own. They become even worse when you factor in a drunk driver. However, try to remain as calm as possible following an accident.
There are several things you should do to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve, such as:
- Contact the Police. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal. The drunk driver responsible for your accident will face criminal charges and penalties for their actions. The police on the scene will interview all involved parties and any witnesses to create a police report, which will help your case.
- Seek Medical Attention. Regardless of if you feel unharmed, seek medical attention. Many injuries do not make themselves known until well after the accident has occurred. If your injuries are not adequately addressed early, you might not be able to receive compensation for medical treatment.
- Collect Information from the Drunk Driver. You will need to collect the drunk driver’s full name, address, phone number, insurance, license plate number, and the type of car they drive (make, model, year, color). Take a picture of their license, if possible.
- Gather Evidence. Collect as much evidence as possible. Take pictures of the damage to both cars and the scene of the accident. Document your injuries. Collect statements and contact information from eyewitnesses. Also, write down your own account of the accident quickly.
- Contact Your Insurance. Next, contact your insurance. Some insurances have a deadline to file a claim, so do not wait. Explain the situation to them and ask about the coverage they offer.
- Contact an Oklahoma Drunk Driving Attorney. Having a trusted drunk driving attorney on your side will help you receive the compensation you deserve and ease any stress you may have.
What Can You Seek Compensation For?
Whether you were a driver, a passenger, or a pedestrian, you are capable of seeking compensation following an accident with a drunk driver. The expert car accident attorneys at AMA Law will investigate the cause of the accident while creating an account of all the damages you sustained.
This account will help our team determine what you can seek compensation for, such as:
- Medical bills (rehab, physical training, and any present and future treatment)
- Property damage (your vehicle)
- Loss of income because your injuries caused you to miss work
- Pain and suffering (mental and physical)
- Punitive damages (in extreme cases if a driver’s actions were particularly dangerous)
- Compensation for disability or disfigurement
- Any other out of pocket expenses related to the accident
In the event of a wrongful death case, you can also seek compensation for:
- Funeral expenses
- Cremation expenses
- Burial costs
- Loss of future wages that the victim would have contributed to the family
- A spouse’s and/or child’s lost companionship
Drunk driving accidents bring a new level of stress with them that regular passenger accidents do not. While drunk drivers will face criminal charges for their actions, these charges do not address the damage done to the victims. That is where an Oklahoma drunk driving attorney comes in to help.
The expert team at AMA Law has years of experience handling drunk driving accidents, so we have the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one was the victim of a drunk driver’s negligence, contact AMA Law today and let us fight for you.